A fruit-filled twist on a breakfast favorite that still packs more than 30 grams of whole grains per serving!
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 Eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 4 slices white cheddar cheese
- 8 slices Wholesome Harvest Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread
- 1/2 tsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Toasted almonds, chopped
- Toss apples with brown sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add apples and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and cinnamon in a shallow casserole and set aside.
- Spread four slices of bread with almond butter.
- Divide apples between the four slices of bread; top each with a slice of cheese and the remaining bread slices.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture and place in the hot pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from pan and drizzle with maple syrup and a sprinkle of toasted almonds. Serve with fresh berries or crisp apple slices.