Boost your protein and whole grain intake with this supremely satisfying sandwich.
- 4 slices Wholesome Harvest® Multi-Grain Bread with Lupin Flour, toasted
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 1 sweet potato, spiralized
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup brown rice
- ¾ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ½ can chickpeas
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- 1½ cups spinach
- Sriracha, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. Once warm, add quinoa and cook until lightly toasted (approximately 2 minutes). Add 1 cup of water to the pan, and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for approximately 13 minutes.
- Place spiralized sweet potato on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for approximately 6 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a small pot over high heat, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add rice, and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring intermittently for approximately 15 minutes. Once tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until the onion becomes translucent (approximately 3 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine black beans and chickpeas and mash with a fork. Add cooked quinoa, rice and onion-garlic mixture, and stir until well-combined. Stir in paprika, cumin and cayenne until thoroughly incorporated.
- Form mixture into two patties, place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip and bake until brown and crispy (approximately 20 more minutes).
- Divide spinach among two slices of toast. Top each with one burger patty, Sriracha, avocado slices and cooked sweet potato. Top each with 1 slice of toast and enjoy!